Following up on our last full newsletter, here is a summary of the latest updates and alerts for your organisation:
Important Alerts and Urgent Updates
- The DfE recently released a brand new update for its Data Protection in Schools guidance which explains “The policies and processes schools and multi-academy trusts need to protect personal data and respond effectively to a personal data breach.” We are expecting to get an overview of key changes out to you in March.
- January saw the release of the CyberSecurity Schools Audit which has some very interesting headlines. We’ve already run some training looking at some of the key points. This article gives a good breakdown.
- On the same topic, the BBC released an article last month also looking at cyber attacks in schools. A very important topic that is not one to ignore. As with safeguarding, it is important to have an ‘it could happen here’ mentality when it comes to cyber threats.
General Data Protection Updates
- The DfE has updated their guidance supporting schools to teach pupils how to stay safe online within existing subjects. They have specifically updated their ‘Teaching online safety in schools’ guidance.
- An interesting look at Password Managers in the aftermath of the LastPass hack.
- The NCSC have sent out advice stating that it isn’t enough to rely on staff training to avoid cyber attacks and that technical measures are needed to manage the threat from phishing.
- The NCSC have also sent out recent guidance explaining how “organisations can map their supply chain dependencies, so that risks in the supply chain can be better understood and managed.” Supply chain attacks do happen and we’ve seen one recently in our own network of schools. They can cost financially so one to be aware of!
- And a final one from the NCSC – NCSC Certified Training.
Latest SchoolPro TLC Information
- If you still haven’t checked it out yet in 2023, our new Data Protection Portal is live and updated to Version 2!
- We’ve rearranged the folders in Global Documents a little so that it is easier to find what you need. It is easier to see it for yourself than to explain so go and explore Global Documents!
- Find out how you can reduce the risk of staff sending out ‘blank forms’ to recipients with another data subject’s data in them in our ‘Your Data Protection Questions Answered’ blog page.
- Introducing this month’s spotlight partner – specialists in secure, efficient and cost effective paper shredding: ShredPro.
SchoolPro TLC guidance does not constitute legal advice.
SchoolPro TLC is not responsible for the content of external websites.